Australian Open continues to be marred by covid19 and the problems for the year’s first grand slam continue on mounting with players complaining over the quarantine conditions.
Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut had even gone so far as to compare the quarantine facilities akin to living in jail in an episode which caused much hue and cry.
Amidst all the drama, the organizers have now come forward to state that the tournament will commence according to the pre-decided schedule.
No best of three formats at Australian Open-
Organisers of the Australian Open on Tuesday ruled out reducing the men’s tournament at the Grand Slam to best-of-three sets due to players’ inability to train at required level amid the strict Covid-19 quarantine rules.
Some players and pundits have said they feared the lack of training activities could make athletes vulnerable to injuries during the Grand Slam and called on organisers Tennis Australia to consider reducing the men’s event from best-of-five sets.
“A few players came up with the idea to bring it down to three sets this time, which I think would make a lot of sense,” Japanese player Taro Daniel told the Herald Sun.
“Because even for guys who are able to train these two weeks, it’s not optimal training. You’re limited to two hours a day and one hour of the gym — so five sets would be pretty brutal this time.
“I have no idea if they’ll be able to do it or not, but I think perhaps they should.”
Also read: Corona chaos continues-47 players quarantined after covid suspects in Australian Open
Australian Open chief Craig Tiley rejected the call.
“We’re a Grand Slam at the end of the day and right now, three out of five sets for the men and two out of three sets for the women is the position we plan on sticking to,” Tiley told the Nine Network on Tuesday.
Roberto Bautista Agut apologizes for his “jail” comment-
Roberto Bautista Agut has apologized after criticizing the Victoria state government’s quarantine requirements for tennis players ahead of next month’s Australian Open and comparing being locked down in a hotel to being in prison.
Passengers who arrived on three charter flights have been placed into hard quarantine, including more than 70 players who are unable to train outside their rooms for 14 days before the year’s first Grand Slam starts on Feb. 8.
If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out MMAIndia.com
Also, follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.com