AEW star Chris Jericho recently took a shot at WWE’s Triple H for his comments over Wednesday Night Wars between NXT and AEW.
Chris Jericho says Triple H’s comments are ‘typical rhetoric’
Triple H had previously stated that the war between NXT and AEW was only imaginary. The first-ever AEW World Champion Chris Jericho is not happy wih the remarks made by The Game.
During a conversation with New York Post, Chris Jericho decided to respond to Triple H as he had said the Wednesday Night Wars was imaginary. He also revealed how WWE’s reaction to the early days of the ‘war’ was.
The Demo God said: “That’s typical WWE… It’s typical rhetoric. Because I believe that they congratulated us the first week and said, if you remember, ‘it’s a marathon, not a sprint.’ We won the marathon, right? So now it’s an imaginary war. Well, then why were they saying it’s a marathon, not a sprint a year and a half ago when our first rating came out?”
AEW won the ‘marathon’ that was dubbed the “Wednesday Night Wars” by tallying better ratings than NXT on 63 of the 75 nights the two brands competed head to head for two hours in primetime. They also tied twice.
The Wednesday Night War between AEW and NXT is often compared with the Monday Night Wars between WWE and WCW, which Jericho was part of.
He said that the ‘imaginary war’ controversy would remain. Jericho questioned that if it was not considered as a war then why did WWE take it as the way they did back in the day with WCW.
He said: “It will be there for the rest of time, it was an ‘imaginary war,’ and if it wasn’t a war why did they take Wednesday night the exact same time that we had? It was there to take away our ratings and for us not to get re-signed. Three months after that started we were re-signed to a hundreds-of millions-of-dollars extension. They failed.”
NXT had been streaming as a one-hour show Wednesdays on WWE Network, the company moved it to USA Network on that night in October 2019. Jericho claimed that WWE was trying to restrict AEW’s staying power with TNT.
However, AEW and TNT agreed to a deal in January last year that saw extension to 2023. Recently, NXT went to Tuesday nights and ended the ‘war’.