Thursday, April 22, 2021
HomeTennisRio open 2021 cancelled in wake of renewed Covid-19 wave

Rio open 2021 cancelled in wake of renewed Covid-19 wave

- Advertisement -

In yet another shock for the tennis world,Rio Open 2021 has been canceled.

It has been almost 18 months since Covid 19 surfaced and the dreaded disease continues to affect lives around the world.

Brazil remains one of the most heavily impacted countries from the pandemic and in spite of the vaccination program going strong, Corona cases keep on mounting. In wake of the situation, the Rio Open authorities have come forward to state that they won’t be going forward with this year’s tournament.

- Advertisement -

The ATP tournament had already been postponed from its original February dates, and organizers said the continued uncertainty around the pandemic meant it would not be rescheduled.

Corona upheaval before Rio Open-

Brazil has been reeling under a new wave of Covid-19 and recorded more than 66000 deaths in March in a new monthly record.

Also read:Wimbledon update-All England club announces the schedule and measures for the 2021 event.

- Advertisement -

And thus, Organizers of the Rio Open, the biggest tennis tournament in South America, said on Thursday that they were canceling this year’s edition because of the worsening Covid-19 situation in Brazil.

“Given the uncertain situation surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, the Rio Open… will not be held in 2021,” organizers said in a statement.

We fought until the end to be able to play in 2021, but unfortunately it is not possible,” said tournament director Luiz Carvalho.

Organizers also said next year’s tournament would be played in February. The 2020 Rio Open champion was Chile’s Cristian Garin.

Miami Open updates-

Women’s world number 1 Ashleigh Barty continued her golden run to stroll into the finals of the Miami Open 2021.

She achieved a straight sets 6-3,6-3 victory over  fifth seed Ukrainian Elina Svitolina.

- Advertisement -

Men’s fourth seed Andrey Rublev too rolled onto the semi-finals, ending the giant-killing run of Sebastian Korda. Rublev won a rain-interrupted quarter-final with a 7-5, 7-6 (9/7) victory over unseeded Korda. He is set to face Hurkacz in the semis.

On the other hand, world number 5 Stefano Tsitsipas crashed out of the Miami Open at the quarter-final stage as Hubert Hurkacz came from behind to win 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

With the absence of many of the top seeds in Miami, it seemed that the tournament was there for Tsitsipas’ taking but he squandered what was a real opportunity.

“I was very stressed these two weeks,” the Greek admitted after the match.“Especially this week I was feeling very stressed. I felt like it was my opportunity.”

Tsitsipas seemed to be coasting, leading 6-2, 2-0, and with game point, but the 22-year-old crumbled and he proceeded to allow a rapidly improving Hurkacz back into it.

The same story repeated in the final set ultimately culminating in a heartbreaking loss for the 22 year old Greek.

Also read:

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Subscribe to get notified for latest news and updates

Latest Articles

More from author

- Advertisment -