Wednesday, June 19, 2024
HomeBoxingCanelo Alvarez Aims To Retire Gennadiy Golovkin On Sep 17

Canelo Alvarez Aims To Retire Gennadiy Golovkin On Sep 17

- Advertisement -

Canelo Alvarez, the undisputed super middleweight champion of the world will lock horns against Gennadiy Golovkin for the third time next month, and the Mexican is planning to make his grudge rival bid adieu to the sport after they clash.

In their past two encounters, the first one in 2017 ended in a split draw, while the rematch next year saw Canelo emerging victorious with via majority decision. While the trilogy fight comes after four years, the rivalry is as bitter as it gets.

- Advertisement -

During the course of their three fight saga spanning over half a decade, Canelo and Golovkin have often engaged in verbal battles, with GGG often pointing out the six month doping ban of Canelo in 2018.

It’s personal because he talked a lot of things about me: Canelo Alvarez

Speaking to BBC Sport, Canelo Alvarez revealed that the plans for his adversary is as clear as water- he’s not fond of him, nor he plans to see the current WBA (Super), IBF and IBO middleweight champ return to the squared circle in the futrure.

- Advertisement -

“I don’t like that guy,” said Canelo, and when asked about whether he aims to retire Gennadiy Golovkin on 17th September at the T-Mobile Arena, he nodded to that notion, “Yes, that’s my goal.”

“It’s personal because he talked a lot of things about me all these years, so that’s why it’s personal for me,” Alvarez added.

- Advertisement -

“When he’s in front of me, he doesn’t say anything – ‘I respect him, I respect his career and this and this’ – but what about what you’ve been saying in interviews and in other places?” the 32-year-old went on, “I think I’m going to end him before the 12th round. I’m going to put all my boxing skills, all my experience in boxing to get this done.”

Canelo’s latest outing ended in a shock defeat to WBA Light Heavyweight titleholder Dmitry Bivol back in May, which he believes has made him a tougher pugilist. Last month, Golovkin himself commented on the match, stating that the loss brought Canelo “back To reality”.

“I am a more dangerous fighter right now because of my loss. I’m just different right now since the last fight. I am more mature, stronger, and more confident,” Canelo continued, “I want to try again [at light-heavyweight]. Right now, I’m 100% focused on Golovkin and then that’s what I’m looking to do next year in May.”

Touching upon the topic of his own retirement, Canelo said that he sees himself continuing to box for four to five more years, but will rely on his body on when to take the decision to leave the sport.

“My body is going to tell me and I feel in my prime right now, so my body will tell me when it’s time to leave the gloves,” he concluded, “Right now I feel great, I feel my best. I always think 36 or 37 is enough for me but you never know.”

- Advertisement -
Saikat Banerjee
Saikat Banerjee
A wordsmith who indulges in the world of combat sports, Saikat is an MMA, boxing, and arm wrestling content writer at The MMA India Show and The Sports Room. Apart from combat sports, he also engages in Indian sports content at The Sports India Show. Currently pursuing an MBA from Jadavpur University, Saikat's other interests lie in motorcycling, working out, and travelling.
- Advertisment -

Subscribe to get notified for latest news and updates

Latest Articles

More from author

- Advertisment -