Pop singer Ricky Martin expressed that it was a “devastating” experience for him, hours after his nephew took back the allegation that he was harassed by the Puerto Rican musician.
I don’t wish this upon anybody: Ricky Martin
The judge rejected to extend the temporary order of protection Martin’s nephew had filed against him during a court proceeding in Puerto Rico on Thursday. Soon after the allegations were rejected, Martin’s team sent out a video to NBC News in which the 50-year-old said that it has been painful for him.
“I’m in front of the cameras today because I really need to talk in order for me to start my healing process,” Martin said in the video. “For two weeks, I was not allowed to defend myself because I was following a procedure where the law obligated me not to talk until I was in front of a judge.”
“Thank God these claims were proven to be false, but I’m going to tell you the truth. It has been so painful. It has been devastating for me, for my family, for my friends. I don’t wish this upon anybody.” he added.
NBC News confirmed the accuser addressed by Martin is the son of the singer’s half-sister.
“To the person that was claiming this nonsense, I wish him the best and I wish he finds the help so he can start a new life filled with love and truth and joy and he doesn’t hurt anybody else,” he says.
Reportedly the name of the nephew has not been recognized as the case was filed under the Prevention and Intervention Law of Puerto Rico’s Domestic violence also known as Act 54, which safeguards the identity of the accuser.
NBC News talked to the spokesperson for the municipality of San Juan, Michelle Cobb, who refused to comment on the case. He shared that the nephew has not given his legal rendition consent to discuss the matter.
Martin also stated that he is focusing on healing at the moment through his music, and his representative, as well as a Hollywood Bowl spokesperson, affirmed to NBC News that the singer will still be performing at the amphitheater on Friday and Saturday night alongside the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
“I cannot wait to be back onstage,” he says. “I cannot wait to be back in front of the cameras and entertain, which is what I do best.” [H/T TODAY.com]
He thanked his friends and fans for believing him at the end of the video.
“You have no idea of the strength that you gave me with every comment you wrote on social media,” he says. “I wish you love and light and here we come with the same strength and passion. God bless you all.”
Previously Martin had denied accusations of sexual assault with his nephew on social media posts last week, but for the first time, he spoke on camera about the circumstances on Thursday.
According to a statement obtained by TODAY, Martin’s lawyer said that they were already expecting what the judge had ruled, also adding that the nephew’s decision to drop the allegations had no “outside influence or pressure.”
View this post on Instagram
ALSO READ: Priscilla Presley Stands By Ex-husband Elvis Over Racism Accusations