Monday, May 20, 2024
HomeBoxingOscar De La Hoya aiming Floyd Mayweather fight after Vitor Belfort on...

Oscar De La Hoya aiming Floyd Mayweather fight after Vitor Belfort on Sep 11

- Advertisement -

Former six division boxing world champion and the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy Promotions Oscar De La Hoya (39-6, 30 KOs) is setting his gaze on Floyd Mayweather as his next opponent after Vitor Belfort.

The former ten-time world titleholder who held the WBC, WBO, and IBF belts during his prime, De La Hoya was last seen in action back on 6th December 2008 when he was defeated by Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Paradise, Nevada.

- Advertisement -

Now, the 48-year-old is making a sensational return to the ring and is touted to face former UFC light heavyweight champion, Vitor Belfort, in an exhibition boxing match targeted on 11th September, with Las Vegas being the likely venue. The bout will be a part of the Triller exhibition event.

Vitor Belfort: Beats Me - MMA Full Contact
Vitor Belfort will be facing Oscar De La Hoya on the latter’s comeback fight on 11th September.

However, even months before his return to the squared circle, De La Hoya is already deciding on his future opponent and wants to trade blows with none other than the legendary Floyd Mayweather.

- Advertisement -

De La Hoya optimistic to get Mayweather back in the ring

The promoter of Canelo Álvarez, Amir Khan, Deontay Wilder, and other star-studded names in the current boxing fraternity, De La Hoya had already mentioned his desire to face Mayweather last year, instead of facing “PacMan” in a rematch.

Now with the Belfort fight in the works, De La Hoya is planning a grand return to boxing after a break of thirteen years, as well as plans to call out “Money”, even though the latter recently said that he won’t do any exhibition fights after facing Logan Paul.

- Advertisement -

“I have a plan; I want to make the biggest comeback in boxing history,” Oscar De La Hoya said on DAZN last Saturday, “I want to get two of these fights down under my belt and get the timing ready and everything, and then my third one, I want to call out Floyd Mayweather.”

Logan, in a surprising turn of events, became the first boxer in history to go the distance against Floyd and not let the undefeated, fifteen times world champion walk out as the winner, and De La Hoya feels that the 44-year-old needs to return to the squared circle to amend the same.

Floyd Mayweather vs Logan Paul 2? YouTuber teases rematch after going the  distance in lucrative exhibition | Evening Standard
Floyd decided not to return to exhibition boxing after the Logan Paul fight.

“I think Floyd after that exhibition he did with [YouTuber] Logan [Paul], I think Floyd has, I think he feels like he has to prove something once again inside the boxing ring, the Mexican-American went on, “so look, if I come out OK, my body feels great, I’m telling you, may jab feels faster than ever. I think it’s the 15 years I didn’t use it.”

“If I feel good these next two fights that I have, I’m going to call out Floyd,” De La Hoya added.

- Advertisement -
Saikat Banerjee
Saikat Banerjee
A wordsmith who indulges in the world of combat sports, Saikat is an MMA, boxing, and arm wrestling content writer at The MMA India Show and The Sports Room. Apart from combat sports, he also engages in Indian sports content at The Sports India Show. Currently pursuing an MBA from Jadavpur University, Saikat's other interests lie in motorcycling, working out, and travelling.

117 COMMENTS

- Advertisment -

Subscribe to get notified for latest news and updates

Latest Articles

More from author

- Advertisment -