The chaos at the Australian Open 2021 continues and this time it has taken a rather serious turn.
Brazilian tennis umpire Carlos Bernardes has suffered a heart attack in Melbourne ahead of February’s Australian Open and is recovering in hospital.
Brazilian website TenisNews reported he was doing well and was expected to be released from the hospital on Saturday, and was conscious in photos seen on social media of him being wheeled into an ambulance. The year’s first grand slam has already had its fair share of problems with corona chaos and the quarantine woes.
Bernardes not to be a part of the Australian Open?
The expert umpire left the View Melbourne hotel in an ambulance. However, it shouldn’t be a COVID-19 related preblema, as doctors didn’t put on personal protective equipment. Perhaps an illness or other health problem yet to be determined.
Bernardes has been an ATP Tour official since 1990 and has taken charge of the 2006 and 2008 US Open men’s finals as well as the 2011 Wimbledon men’s title decider.
Photos of Bernardes being wheeled from his hotel accommodation into an ambulance were posted on social media.
“Following admittance to hospital (non-COVID related) on Wednesday in Melbourne, we are pleased to report that ATP umpire Carlos Bernardes is recovering well,” said the men’s tennis association.
“Carlos passes on his gratitude for all the well wishes he’s received, and we wish him all the best for a full recovery.“
However, even if Carlos makes a full recovery, chances of him being a part of the umpiring team at the Australian Open are effectively nil, with him expected to return to Brazil as soon as possible.
Another day, another covid19 case-
The Victoria state government on Friday confirmed one new case of COVID-19 in the group of people in quarantine in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open, a few hours after Spanish player Paula Badosa said she had tested positive for the virus.
Badosa was the first player entered for next month’s Grand Slam to confirm a positive test, although four were among the 10 cases announced earlier this week.
It is almost certain, given the skyrocketing infection rates in countries like Britain and the United States, that others will test positive after arriving here. Tennis Australia and the Victoria State government have responded by announcing what they say is a watertight hotel quarantine system.