Thursday, April 18, 2024
HomeArticlesCostly Error: Bournemouth considering taking legal action against Hawk-Eye with £200 million...

Costly Error: Bournemouth considering taking legal action against Hawk-Eye with £200 million loss looming

- Advertisement -

AFC Bournemouth were met with a cruel end to their five-year maiden stint in the Premier League. Despite a final day victory over Everton, the Cherries were relegated by a single point as Aston Villa managed to cling on. 

The club representatives of Bournemouth will reportedly meet later this week to discuss the proposition of a potential compensation claim against Hawk-Eye. Hawk-Eye’s blunder helped Aston Villa gain an additional point which turned out to be the difference in the end.

- Advertisement -

With their relegation to the Championship, Bournemouth are expected to take a hit of £200 million as a result of sponsor payments, TV rights, and potential player exits such as Ryan Fraser and Nathan Ake to name a few.


- Advertisement -

Hawk-Eye had issued an apology after their goal-line technology failed to detect the ball crossing the line.

During the first half of Aston Villa vs Sheffield United match at Villa Park, there was a goal-line incident where the ball was carried over the line by Aston Villa goalkeeper, No 25 Nyland.

- Advertisement -

The match officials did not receive a signal to the watch nor earpiece as per the Goal Decision System (GDS) protocol. The seven cameras located in the stands around the goal area were significantly occluded by the goalkeeper, defender, and goalpost. This level of occlusion has never been seen before in over 9,000 matches that the Hawk-Eye Goal Line Technology system has been in operation.

The system was tested and proved functional prior to the start of the match in accordance with the IFAB Laws of The Game and confirmed as working by the match officials. The system has remained functional throughout. Hawk-Eye unreservedly apologises to the Premier League, Sheffield United, and everyone affected by this incident.

Villa’s gain is Bournemouth’s loss

The incident took place during the very first match post the lockdown at Villa Park where Aston Villa hosted Sheffield United. A delivery by Oliver Norwood was collected by Aston Villa goalkeeper Orjan Nyland, but in the process managed to take the ball beyond the line for a brief second.

While the Sheffield United players appealed for a potential goal, Michael Oliver ruled it out as he had not received a signal on his watch. Replays later showed that the ball had indeed crossed the line.

The match eventually ended at 0-0 giving Aston Villa a crucial point which eventually became the decisive factor in the end.

If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out
Also, follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at

Also Read:

BorusYEAH: Borussia Monchengladbach to reward fan for not uttering name of rivals on TV


- Advertisement -


- Advertisment -

Subscribe to get notified for latest news and updates

Latest Articles

More from author

- Advertisment -