Sunday, March 7, 2021
Home Boxing Teófimo López unhappy at Top Rank, threatens to walk out like Mayweather

Teófimo López unhappy at Top Rank, threatens to walk out like Mayweather

- Advertisement -

Unified lightweight champion of the world Teófimo López has lashed out at Top Rank and also threatened to walk out in a similar manner like Floyd Mayweather.

The current WBA (Super), WBO, and IBF lightweight titleholder will be defending his IBF belt against mandatory contender George Kambosos Jr after retaining the same against Vasyl Lomachenko in October last year.

Teófimo López says he’s “taking my talents somewhere else” if Top Rank doesn’t come to terms

 Teófimo López
If his terms aren’t met, Teófimo López will be parting ways with Bob Arum. (Image Courtesy: Top Rank)

However, before he squares off against Kambosos, López wants absolute, crystal clear confirmation from Top Rank about grabbing the best deal out of the fight, otherwise, he’s ready to bid adieu to Bob Arum and his promotional company.

- Advertisement -

“I’m looking forward, and I’m moving forward,” López spoke to Mark Kriegel of ESPN, “if you can’t meet the terms, then like I said, I’m taking my talents somewhere else.”

“Because you got the best fighter in the world on that display. It’s all paid dues. And that’s what we did; we paid our dues,” the 23-year-old went on, “I am your favorite fighter’s favorite fighter. That sets the tone, and I think that everybody needs to realize that. I am the truth. I am the best in the division.” (H/T WorldBoxingNews)

López signed with Top Rank in 2016 October and made his professional boxing debut against Ishwar Siqueiros a month later as the undercard of WBO welterweight championship fight between Manny Pacquiao and Jessie Vargas.

- Advertisement -

However, if his terms are not met, López is ready to part ways with the company, in a similar fashion to Mayweather, who left Top Rank and pocketed over a billion dollars.

Teófimo López wants to move up from lightweight, aiming 140

Teófimo López claims himself the ‘undisputed’ champion of 135, but to really earn the title, the pugilist needs to clinch the WBC belt from Devin Haney.

ALSO READ: Teófimo López “absolutely” positive to fight Devin Haney, but not just yet

All that being said, López reveals that his future plans include moving up to the light middleweight and becoming the undisputed champion at 140.

I’ve been at this weight for 7 years now, and we’ve been much better. We had a long layoff, and we succeeded and we were able to make the weight,” López told ESPN.

There’s a lot of fish to catch at 140 as well. Trying to make history and become undisputed at 140 is something that is on my mind and has been on my mind,” the boxer added.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Subscribe to get notified for latest news and updates

Latest Articles

More from author