Wednesday, August 4, 2021
HomeBoxingRoy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike...

Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson

- Advertisement -Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM
Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM

Former WBC heavyweight champion of the world Mike Tyson will fight former four-division world champion Roy Jones Jr in an eight-round exhibition match.

Initially, the fight was supposed to take place at the Dignity health sports park in Carson, California on September 12, but the fight had to be delayed to November 28.

- Advertisement -Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM
Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM

Roy Jones Jr vs Mike Tyson

While Mike Tyson seemed to be okay with the change in schedule, Roy Jones Jr stated that he will pull out of the fight if he is not compensated for the delay in the fights.

For me it was more about pushing to go ahead and do it, firstly because I’m focused, and you need to stay focused,” Jones said. “… I’ve had to cancel other stuff to be out here. It’s upset my calendar. I’ve got to change things.

… That’s the biggest issue. I’m not a full-time boxer anymore, so I do other and things to make an income. If I can’t do other things, then I should be compensated for that, because it changes the schematics. It’s not acceptable.”

Roy Jones Jr is working with his lawyers to resolve the issue

Roy Jones Jr stated that he is working with his lawyers and is working with his lawyers to resolve the issue so that he is fairly compensated for the delay.

We’re trying to figure something out. My lawyers (are) talking with their lawyers, trying to figure out ways to make it a better situation so that I can compensated for it, that is more beneficial for me to do,” he said. “…  If they don’t make it make sense, (the fight) would be off.


Why would I change the date and mess up the rest of my year when I agreed to September 12? They said they wanted to get a crowd. If you want to get a crowd, that’s a different type of money. If you want a big event, that’s a different type of money.

You think I’m going to say, OK, let’s look at my money, but I’m not getting no better percent. How dumb is that to me? So let’s see what happens.” Roy Jones Jr concluded. (H/T – MMAJunkie.com)

Roy Jones Jr was last seen in action against Scott Sigman in February of 2018. The fight took place at the Civic Center in Pensacola and Jones Jr won via unanimous decision. He hasn’t competed since and he turned 51 earlier this year.

Roy is riding on a four-fight winning streak even if he hasn’t competed in over four years, he is much fresher fighter compared to Mike Tyson.

Do you guys think Roy Jones Jr will fight Mike Tyson given the circumstances?

ALSO READ:

Here’s why Lomachenko vs Lopez is free on ESPN and not pay-per-view

 

 

- Advertisement -Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM
Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM

Subscribe to get notified for latest news and updates

Latest Articles

More from author

- Advertisment -Roy Jones Jr threatens to pull out of exhibition bout with Mike Tyson - THE SPORTS ROOM