Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been charged with an assault case for an incident that transpired last year. It has been confirmed by the local police on Tuesday, July 5. It has been reported that the charge is related to a “domestic relationship” that did not have Nick Kyrgios name on it but The Canberra Times quoted the lawyer of the former world number 13 in a statement of Australian Capital Territory.
Nick Kyrgios set to face court after the charges
“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” the police said.
Australian media said the charge was related to a complaint made by Kyrgios’s former partner Chiara Passari. “It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” Kyrgios’s barrister Jason Moffett was quoted as saying by The Canberra Times.
“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. Given the matter is before the court… he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”
For those of you who genuinely missed some of Chiara Passari's IG stories for whatever reason. This is what she had to say about her ex Nick Kyrgios. Some of these are from the day of that alleged altercation (police had to be called) and others few days later pic.twitter.com/rLK8gYUOhw
— NoFirstName claycourtdal (@SMSTNS) July 5, 2022
ALSO READ: Nick Kyrgios furiously rants at the umpire; Tsitsipas receives warning for hitting a ball into the crowd
However, Moffett has not responded to requests for comment and an email sent to Kyrgios’s representative was not answered. Kyrgios last month became the first athlete to join Evolve, the new sports agency co-founded by four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka.
Wimbledon organisers, the All England Club, said they have been made aware of Kyrgios’s situation but would not comment as legal proceedings are ongoing.
“We are in touch with Nick’s team and he remains scheduled to play his quarter-final match tomorrow,” an All England Club spokesperson said.
It has been noted that Passari was forced to defend herself after receiving online abuse for the timing of the case, as Kyrgios prepares for his Wimbledon quarter-final clash against Cristian Garin on Wednesday. She told News Corp that she went to ACT Police in the month of the alleged assault, with the process of summoning Kyrgios taking seven months.
Passari had further explained that she had nothing to do with the timing of the news surfacing 24 hours before the 27-year-old’s first Grand Slam quarter-final since 2015.