AJ Styles, the WWE star recently joined Graham Matthews of Bleacher Report for an interview. He opened up about if he ever considered leaving WWE after his contract expired.
AJ Styles on if he considered leaving WWE and joining AEW
The veteran WWE star AJ Styles is one of the top names of the company and there had been speculations of him leaving the company when his first WWE contract expired back in 2019.
Alongside him, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows'(now Doc Gallows) contract expired and they ended up leaving in April last year, while Styles stayed.
Currently Anderson and Gallows known as The Good Brothers are signed with Impact Wrestling. They are also the current World Tag Team Champions.
There were rumors floating that Styles, Gallows and Anderson will debut together on the first episode of AEW Dynamite and reunite the Bullet Club, which they were part of in NJPW.
However, The Phenomenal One decided not to part ways with WWE. During the interview he revealed if he was close to leaving.
He said: “I’m going to go where business is best for AJ Styles. I like WWE. I like everything about it. And I know it. I’m used to it. I don’t want to leave. This is a business, though. This is what we do for a living. Was it close? I wouldn’t say it was close for me. Like I said, I want to be in WWE.”
The Bullet Club had reunited on AEW Dynamite earlier this month but without AJ Styles. It involved Gallows, Anderson, AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks, AEW World Champion Kenny Omega.
AJ Styles on his retirement
The former WWE Champion had inked a new multi-year contract with WWE in 2019 and previously said this would be his final contract.
Apparently, The Phenomenal One could retire in the next few years when his contract expires. He was questioned about his retirement as well.
He said: “It’s really whenever it feels right. Some days, I feel like I can go five, six more years. And then some years I’m like, ‘Oh, man, I can be done this year.’ As you get older, it’s just changing. You have to listen to your body and figure out what it can do next.”
Styles is set to compete in the 30-Man Royal Rumble Match at the WWE Royal Rumble pay-per-view on January 31.