Just a week after former WBC interim lightweight world champion Ryan Garcia wished Isaac Cruz to be his comeback opponent for next year, and his promotional company Golden Boy has reportedly taken it up as a potential fight, targeting it to take place in March or April 2022, which will mark Garcia’s return to the ring over a year.
It’s been almost a year since Ryan Garcia was seen in action inside the squared circle. The youngster had defeated Luke Campbell on 2nd January to kickstart the year by winning the WBC interim lightweight belt. However since then, Garcia has been unable to return to the ring twice this year, first pulling out against Javier Fortuna due to mental health issues in April, followed by suffering a hand injury which cancelled the JoJo Diaz fight in November.
Recently, Garcia opened up about his conversation with Isaac Cruz, who earned accolades after his performance against Gervonta Davis for the WBA (Regular) lightweight belt, claiming that “Pitbull” has nodded to a fight as Garcia himself eyes a comeback against the Mexican.
“Cruz said he’d fight me in my patio, and he also said he’ll probably beat me. We definitely have to see that, and I look forward to that fight coming back,” Garcia said on a recent live session on social media, courtesy of FightHype.com, “It should be a good one. Cruz is a pressure fighter, a pretty good one, and has little movement. It’s nothing I haven’t seen before, but we’ll have to see how he does against me.”
There are counter-claims that Golden Boy isn’t too invested in pitting Ryan Garcia against Isaac Cruz
As reported by boxing scribe Steve Kimstobal, Golden Boy Promotions, the company of “Golden Boy” Oscar De la Hoya, is trying to host the Garcia vs Cruz fight in March or April in the coming year.
“I was told that Golden Boy is trying to make a fight between Ryan Garcia and Isaac Cruz for March/April. Hats off if they actually get this done. Lets see where this goes…” tweeted Kimstobal.
I was told that Golden Boy is trying to make a fight between Ryan Garcia and Isaac Cruz for March/April. Hats off if they actually get this done. Lets see where this goes… #boxing
— Steve Kimstobal (@SteveKim323) December 21, 2021
However, Chris Mannix, Senior Writer at Sports Illustrated countered Kimstobal’s claim and added that while “King Ry” is keen to make the fight happen, the promotion is not invested in putting him up against someone as strong chinned as Cruz, especially with Garcia coming off of a hand injury.
“Garcia wants this. My understanding is Golden Boy doesn’t, largely because they don’t like the idea of Garcia, coming off a major hand injury, facing someone as iron chinned as Cruz in his first fight back,” Mannix added.
- Ryan Garcia’s promotional company Golden Boy Promotions has reportedly showed interest in making the Isaac Cruz fight happen in March or April
- Garcia has shown interest in making his comeback against Cruz, who recently fought Gervonta Davis
- Counter-claims suggest that the promotion aren’t too keen in pitting Garcia against Cruz